The M6 Personal Defense Weapon System is the standard sidearm family of the UNSC. The M6 family is designed primarily for ruggedness and reliability. Certain models have been ‘up-sized’ to be used by Spartan’s in Mjolnir armor. Even though the ‘Spartan” issue pistols are larger than the standard-issue variants (~117%) they can still share magazines.
The M6 series are recoil-operated and magazine-fed. It fires 12.7mm x 30 semi-armor-piercing high-explosive ammunition (standard issue). M6 series handguns are issued in three different finishes: hard chrome, black polymer, and electroless nickel.
The M6C/SOCOM variant has an integrated sound suppressor.
Official Designation: M6 PDWS (Personal Defense Weapon System)
Common Slang Terms: Go-mag, cannon, hand cannon, power drill, HE pistol, heavy pistol
Cartridge: 12.7mm x 40 SAP-HE (semi-armor-piercing, high-explosive)
Max. effective range: 50m
Mag. capacity: 8 rounds (6, 12 in some models)
Rate of fire: DAO
Unit cost: 1615 cR.
• Length o/a: 22.86 cm (9 in.) standard
• 26.7 cm (10.5 in.) ‘up-sized’
• Weight (loaded/12 rnds): 1.8 kg (4.09 lbs) standard
• 2.7 kg (5.95 lbs) ‘up-sized’
• M6A: standard issue/black polymer finish
• M6B: ‘Officer’s model’—issued with smart-linked scope [KFA-2]/hard chrome finish
• M6C: ‘up-sized’, standard issue/black polymer finish
• M6C/SOCOM: accurized—issued with smart-linked scope [VnSLS/V 6E]/black polymer finish
• M6D: ‘up-sized’, ‘Officer’s model’—issued with smart-linked scope [KFA-2]/hard chrome finish
• M6E: standard issue/electroless nickel finish
• M6F: ‘Officer’s model’—issued with smart-linked scope [KFA-2]/electroless nickel finish
• M6G: ‘up-sized’, standard issue/electroless nickel finish
• M6H: ‘up-sized’, ‘Officer’s model’—issued with smart-linked scope [KFA-2]/electroless nickel finish
• M6I: select-fire variant; detachable shoulder-stock/black polymer finish
• M6J/C: carbine variant; 355mm barrel, detachable shoulder-stock/electroless nickel finish
• M6K: police ‘undercover’ variant; 6 rnd magazine capacity/black polymer finish